tisdag 28 augusti 2012

The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker

“It still amazes me how little we really knew. . . . Maybe everything that happened to me and my family had nothing at all to do with the slowing. It’s possible, I guess. But I doubt it. I doubt it very much.”

Thus begins one of the best books this year. 

A seemingly normal day in a normal home in a Los Angeles suburb 11-year old Julia and her parents wake to the news splashed across every newspaper in the country - the rotation of the Earth has begun to slow down. Meaning the length of the day is increasing little by little as is the night. From our well known, ingrained, 24 hour rhythm a day turns into 25 hours, 26, 27 and on and on with no apparent stop in sight. 

It´s a disaster that sneaks up on people. A day of 27 hours can be dealt with but when the sun is up for 50 hours straight followed by 50 hours of night it messes with things. People start to loose it. Animals get confused and die. Crops whither everything and everyone is affected. 

In the midst of all this Julia deals with more normal issues; being lonely at school, liking a boy who doesn´t seem to know she exists, parents who fight. Existence in that stage where you´re not a child anymore but not really a teenager either. 

I could go on and on about the miracle of this book. It´s been a while since I read it and I still think of it sometimes, how for all our technological advances and wisdom, we really have no control at all. 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar